California Early Childhood Mentor Program Teachers
- Lorraine is a Mentor Teacher at Country Kids Family Child Care, located in Hesperia. She provides the care and education for infants through twelve year olds. Her current schedule is Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Lorraine holds a Master Teacher Permit, a Family Child Care Certificate and her Associates Degree in Child Development. She has been in the child care field for 25 years, teaching in both the family child care environment and center based programs.
- Students who chose to conduct their lab hours with Lorraine will gain experience serving multi-aged groups. They will also get exposure to the daily operations of a family child care facility.
- Lorraine can be reached at 760.244.1780.
- Jackie is a Mentor Teacher at Mojave Vista State Preschool, located in Victorville. She teaches children who are 4 and 5 years old. Her current teaching schedule is Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Jackie has her B.A. in Child Development from the University of La Verne, A.S. Degree in Child Development from Victor Valley College and hold a Progressive Director Permit. She also holds a Parent Educator Certificate- Parents as Teacher Program and has been with the Mentor Teacher Program since 1998. She has taught for SBCSS State Preschool since 1996 and prior to that she taught in a private center. She has six years of experience as a Children Supervisor for a Bible Study Fellowship.
- Jackie's specialization is with music, props and puppets. She has collected a vast array of puppets that she uses in her everyday teaching. The children are captivated by this curriculum strategy and student teachers will have the opportunity to learn this wonderful classroom tool.
- Jackie can be reached at 760.241.4144.
- Sharon is a Mentor Teacher at Rancho Verde State Preschool, located in Apple Valley. Her current teaching schedule is Monday through Friday, from 8:15 to 3:15.
- Sharon has her A. S. degree in Child Development and holds a Site Supervisor Permit. She taught for 20 years at Apple Valley Christian School, where she started her career as an aide and eventually became the director of the school. Ten years ago she helped to open the new State Preschool site at Rancho Verde, and she has been teaching there since.
- Sharon notes, “Even though our program has a strong emphasis on language and literacy, our main goal is to help each child to grow in whatever their area of need might be. We provide a fun and active learning environment, which promotes social, emotional and cognitive growth. We work closely with families to enrich both the home and school experience for the children. I love to laugh and interact with the children on a personal level. I also enjoy literature, so when we're not telling stories, children are encouraged to make up their own."
- Sharon can be reached at 760.240.4732.
My name is Rochelle Himmelrick. I enjoy teaching and working with children of all ages – young children and those who are young at heart. I have taught for many years in both public and private schools.
I have been working in the field of Early Childhood for 30 years and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I started my career by opening up a family child care and eventually opening a child care center where I am currently the director and one of the teachers. I started my ECE classes at Barstow College and am currently an instructor at Barstow College teaching ECE courses. I taught at Barstow High School for 17 years – teaching Child Care Occupations for the ROP program. I received my A.A. from Barstow College along with my ECE certificate. With determination and perseverance I received my B.A. and M.A. from Azusa Pacific University . I have been involved with Bible Study Fellowship for 13 years / 6 years working in leadership.
My philosophy is that we are always learning and with that in mind, I hope to add to your learning experience by bringing a positive educational opportunity to you during our time together. My job is to provide the instruction and the student's responsibility is to apply themselves to their work and hopefully they will be able to relate what they have learned to their life. Real situations are more meaningful so I like to make things relevant (or applicable) to what they are learning.
I have a wonderful supportive husband and seven fantastic children. In my free time I like to be outdoors spending time with my family. I believe there are never any bad weather days, just different kinds of weather. With that in mind my philosophy for children is that their job is to play, be happy and be outdoors as well.
Rochelle can be reached at 760-964-3574 or 760-252-5535
(Also I am in the process of applying for a site supervisors permit as I currently have a teacher's permit but know I qualify for the supervisor's permit).
- Marlene Emlay is a Mentor Teacher at Sitting Bull State Preschool. Her program offers a morning class from 8:30 to 11:30 and an afternoon class from 12:30 to 3:30 to three to five year olds in Apple Valley. Her program operates Monday through Friday.
- Marlene holds an AS degree in Child Development and a Site Supervisor Permit. She first started in the early childhood education as a parent, then a substitute teacher and has worked her way to her current position as the Site Supervisor at Sitting Bull State Preschool.
- Marlene states, "We love science and hands-on activities in my class. I try to make coming to school a fun and exciting adventure. I stress kindness to others and make it extremely important to work out our difficulties and problems with respect and understanding.
- Marlene can be reached at 760.240.5278.
- Deana "Deena Riddle is a Mentor Teacher at Lemon Street Infant Center. Her program serves children 2 months to 36 months, and is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. She is available for conferencing from 2-3 p.m.
- Deana holds an A.S. in Child Development an A.A. in Liberal Studies, a New Zealand Early Childhood Teaching Certificate and a California Teaching Credential Certificate as a Child Development Site Supervisor.
- Deana has been in the field of education for 34 years, starting as a teacher's assistant after school in a private preschool. Since that time, she has spent years as a preschool teacher, special education instructional assistant an infant edu-carer and currently a state preschool teacher/ site supervisor. Deana states, "Here at the Lemon Street Infant Center we have a very unique program. We provide a special blend of caring & teaching for our babies and their teen parents. If you can�t tolerate diversity, this is NOT the place for you. We actively embrace differences and create a relationship based on educational caregiving situation fully including the parent in the function and decisions made for her child's care here in the center. We try to provide children with an opportunity for choice, including when they eat, sleep, play outside etc. We truly aspire to follow the child's lead, sharing the power and expanding on their interests and current knowledge. We trust babies to know what they need, and it is our job to figure out what they need by the clues they provide. The babies regulate their own schedule.
- "Please note that working with teen parents requires a special ability to adapt and not judge, we really do have the utmost respect and support for these moms that must get up (after a rough night with baby) ride at least 2 buses (with baby and gear in tow) and get to class by 7:05 A.M. We try to be very accepting of all of their strong emotions.
- If you think you have what it takes to join a team dedicated to enhancing the lives of teen-parents and ultimately their children, and you don't want to hang out just because, "I LOVE babies!" then give Deana a call at 760.956.3868 and schedule an interview and 2 hour interactive observation.
Name of Classroom: S.B.C.S.S. Del Rey State Preschool
Age of Children in Class: Three, Four and Five years old.
Judy's current teaching schedule: 8:00-11:00 a.m. 11:45-2:45 P.M.
A Brief description of Judy's education (degrees, certification, etc):
A.A. degree. B.A. degree in Child Development. Site Supervisor Permit. 105 professional growth hours every five years.
Brief description of Judy's teaching experience:
I have been fortunate to work for San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools for eighteen years. The first two years I worked for the county I worked in the Infant/Toddler program. Prior to working for S.B.C.S.S. I worked at Guadalupe Child Development Lab Classroom in San Bernardino for nine years.
Special characteristics of Judy's classroom:
Small class room good for supervision; lots of windows; on a school campus children transition their neighborhood school. We get to see them grow up. Playground has grass and large trees for shade. Classroom has lots of supplies.
Other information about Judy:
I am married with one son who attends San Joaquin Valley College
Judy can be reached at cell (760) 912-1231 work 760)9559324
Name of Classroom: S.B.C.S.S. Adelanto State Preschool
Age of Children in Class: Three, Four and Five years old.
Nicolle's current teaching schedule: 7:45 - 10:45 and 11:45 - 2:45 Monday through Friday
Nicolle's description of her education (degrees, certification, etc):
Earned an A.S Degree in Child Development in 1999 from Victor Valley College. I am currently working on my B.S. Degree in Early Childhood Education from Kendall College, an online program located in Chicago, Illinois. I also have a Site Supervisor Permit.
Brief description of her teaching experience:
I began my teaching experience as a Mentee student with Victor Valley College in 1996. I worked in private preschool for a year before coming to the SBCSS State Preschool Program in 1998. I have taught all over the county of San Bernardino including Victorville, Hesperia, Ft. Irwin and Adelanto. I currently work as the Lead Teacher for the High Desert area for State Preschool. This job enables me to not only work with the children, but help teachers as well. I enjoy teaching preschool with all my heart and I look forward to my new endeavor as a Mentor Teacher with Victor Valley College.
Special characteristics of Nicolle's class :
I am very fortunate to share a classroom with Judy Money. We operate 4 classes at our school and work great as a team. Even though we have two different classes each, our teams collaborate every day to provide the best program we can for the children of Adelanto. We have a wide range of talented teachers and associates in our classroom who have strengths in literacy, math, science and music. We are for sure a multi-modality site! The families at Adelanto State Preschool are very supportive and understand the importance in Early Childhood Education. We provide a fun hands-on learning experience focusing on social emotional development.
Other information about Nicolle:
In addition to teaching, I am also a Girl Scout Leader for my daughter's Brownie troop. I enjoy working with the girls on leadership, respect and life skills that will carry on with them their entire lives. Being a positive role model to not only my preschool students but also to the community is very important to me! I am a also a mother of two young children, so early childhood education is with me 24 hours a day!
Nicolle can be reached at (760) 246-3396.
Theresa Frymire is a Mentor Teacher at Park View State Preschool in Victorville. There are two classes a day with 24 children each. The AM Class is from 8:00 to 11:00 and the PM Class is from 12:00 to 3:00. Children are 3- 5 years old.
Theresa has worked with preschool children for 20 years. Substituting at her own children’s preschool, then 7 years at Lindero Childrens Montessori School, 1 ½ years with Head Start and 11 years with SBCSS State Preschool, and many years in her church nursery programs. Theresa holds an A.S. Degree in Early Child Development from VVC and a Site Supervisor Permit.
Theresa enjoys setting up the environment and schedule to encourage initiative and independence, giving children the experiences they need to learn and grow. Fostering a hands -on, active learning environment that promotes development for the Whole Child.
You are welcome to come and build a relationship with the children and myself by spending quality time with the little ones in our care. By using observation and interaction you will see how these tools will help you plan and carry out a fun and developmentally appropriate lesson plan and classroom environment.
Theresa can be reached at 760.843.3893.
Lori Bohnsak is a Mentor Teacher at Adelanto State Preschool, located in Adelanto. She teaches children ages 3 to 5 years. Her current teaching schedule is Monday through Friday, with two 3-hour sessions daily.
- Lori has her M.S. degree in Child Development and holds a Site Supervisor Permit. She is currently teaching on-line courses with Barstow Community College. Lori has taught for approximately 13 years with San Bernardino county State preschools. Lori also teaches ECER's classes and is an advisor for the Cares/Connection program.
- There is a special emphasis on literacy and story-based curriculum in Lori's classroom. I was once a mentee student with Victor Valley College and I am proud to say, with the hands on training and learning they were the ones who helped me to make the right decision to become a preschool teacher.
- Lori can be reached at 760.246-3396
Gale Moore is a three-year-old teacher at Hesperia Christian Preschool in Hesperia, Ca. The children know here as Mrs. Moore in the Huggy Bear class. Her educational background is a B.A. in Early Childhood and a M.A. in College Teaching Adults/Parenting and Community Work from Pacific Oaks College in Pasadena, Ca. It is her belief that young children grow when they are supported and provided with the physical, social, cognitive, emotional, language and spiritual development. The classroom environment is a reflection of those developments and even richer with the guidance of the teacher and the families working closely together to enhance the individual child’s development. She believes it is a privilege to serve children, their families and God daily.
The number of the preschool is 244-2804 x232. She teach from 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Jeanette Hand is a Mentor Teacher at Mojave Mesa State Preschool. Her program serves children 3-5 years old. Her program has 2 sessions daily: AM class is 8:15 am – 11:15 am,
PM class is 12:15 pm-3:15 pm. Her program corresponds with Apple Valley Unified School District schedule.
She can be reached at (760) 242-0743
Jeanette Hand holds an A.S in Child Development from Victor Valley College, C.T.C. Teacher and Site Supervisor Permit. She is also a Professional Growth Advisor for the Child Development Training Consortium.
Jeanette’s has been an Early Childhood Educator for over 18 years. She began her earliest teaching experiences in a small Montessori School; from there she bases her teaching practices and philosophy. Her teaching experiences include private and public preschool teacher and director.
Her program serves eligible children of the community and is located on an elementary school site. The program is funded and regulated by the California Department of Education, Child Development Division and Apple Valley Unified School District.
Mojave Mesa State Preschool is a bilingual program. Her program focuses on building a cohesive, safe and nurturing learning environment based on mutual respect and understanding of one another and our environment. Her program integrates hand on; child directed experiences with early learning. “Together we have the opportunity to help families understand the importance of their child’s first years”.