Academic Success & Equity Programs
Mission of the program
Victor Valley College believes that the first year experience is critical to the academic success and personal growth of our students. The First Year Experience (FYE) program at Victor Valley College integrates first-year students into the academic and cultural community of the College. It is dedicated to helping students achieve their academic goal.
Benefits of First Year experience:
- Dedicated counselors
- Student Support Network
- Culturally Enriching Activities
- Academic Success Workshops
- University Tours
- Book Assistance (up to $500 per semester)
- Second-Year Assistance and Follow up
- Student leadership training opportunities
- Linked Courses
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN:
- FYE students are twice as likely to earn their associate degrees within a three-year time period than students who are not in FYE.
- FYE students are more likely to persist into their second year at Victor Valley College than students who are not in FYE.
- FYE students are more likely to transfer to 4 year universities than students who did not participate in FYE.
First-Year Experience orientation dates and times will be e-mailed to students who are accepted into the program.
Information sessions will be held at your high school.
Complete the Victor Valley College “Steps to Enrollment” by April 2, 2018:
- VVC online application
- Apply for Financial Aid for Summer 2018 and also for the 2018-2019 Academic Year
- Student must qualify for the Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver – BOGFW
- Complete VVC orientation
- Complete VVC assessment test
- Complete the First-Year Experience application online by April 14, 2018.
- Submit a 200-300 word essay describing why you should be selected to participate in the program. For an essay example, please visit: FIrst-Year Experience Essay Example
- Submit high school transcripts
- Submit a photo of yourself
Attend and graduate from one of the designated high schools: Hesperia High School, Oak Hills High School, Sultana High School, Apple Valley High School, Granite Hills High School, Victor Valley High School, Adelanto High School, Silverado High School, Serrano High School or Excelsior High School.
In order to be eligible for the First-Year Experience program, students must:
- Attend the orientation for your specific cohort
- Be enrolled as a Full-Time student
- Maintain a GPA of 2.00 or above
- Complete 20 hours of community service each semester
Summer cohorts begin June 18th, 2018.
Last Updated 3/1/18