The math classes offered by the basic skills program at VVC are divided into four modules:
- BSKL 12A - Operations with Whole Numbers: This class offers individualized instruction that meets the needs of students in Operations on Whole Numbers.
- BSKL 12B - Operations with Fractions: This class offers individualized instruction that meets the needs of students in Operation on Fractions.
- BSKL 12C - Operations with Decimals: This class offers individualized instruction that meets the needs of students in Operations on Decimals.
- BSKL 12D - Operations with Fraction and Decimals: This class offers individualized instruction that meets the needs of students in Opearation on both Fractions and Decimals and Percents.
- For each of the modules listed above, a student must complete an assignment packet, pass chapter (lesson) exams, and attend five workshops. In addition to the five workshops, students enrolled in BSKL 12A must attend 10 classroom sessions. The assignment packet contains the work from the text, worksheets , and a computer software program. The assignments consist of paper-pencil work, and computer work. The computer work must be completed with a score of 80% or better. An exam score of 70% or higher is required to pass the chapter (lesson) exams. Students may attempt each exam twice in order to achieve a score of 70% or higher. The workshops offer students an opportunity to explore some concepts on a deeper level. The workshops are offered throughout the semester. They are open to all students (BSKL and NON-BSKL). The following topics are currently covered at the workshops:
- Prime and Composite Numbers.
- Prime Factorization.
- Greatest Common Factor.
- Lowest Common Multiple.
- Strategies for Solving Word Problems.
- Order of Operations.