December 14, 2018
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

RamPage Victor Valley College

February 2001                                                 Volume 11 Issue 1                                                        Page 4

More: power shortages prevent learning

     California only generates 75 percent of its own power and has to purchase the other 25 percent from out of state. "California is selling our power out-of-state for a bigger profit," said Garcia. Utility bills will increase the cost of operating the college. SCE gives VVC 20,000 volts, the central plant substation produces 12,000 volts, and redistributes it through transformers reduced to 4,160 volts, which is 480 volts to individual buildings. The college may purchase a generator for shutdowns or emergencies.
     The maintenance staff is trying to conserve energy by reducing lighting, and making lighting and heating more energy efficient. Along with the lighting, heating and air conditioning, maintenance has installed energy-efficient parking lot lights, and interior lighting throughout the campus.
     The energy crisis has required that in certain instances, the college is forced to shut down completely.  This causes students to do without classes, and it costs the college more money to remain open during times when it might otherwise have been closed. "Decisions have to be made in the best interest of the school, so the college has

chosen to pay penalties," according to Robert Sewell, Director of Auxiliary Services.
     In an effort to conserve energy, heat has been turned off, and the campus has closed early a number of days. "Indications are, we are not out of the woods yet. There may still be some type of rolling brownout that may cause us to conserve a little more, or shut down. The college has tried to comply wherever possible," said Sewell.
     The power shortage "has caused greater awareness of the need to conserve electricity, and to reduce the fiscal impact that we might not otherwise have anticipated," said Sewell.
     "Security and maintenance have done a good job ensuring the safety of students and employees through this crisis, and should be commended. The energy costs will not affect tuition or parking because those rates are determined by higher education codes, and it should not affect the price of books," said Sewell.

     The RamPage is a newspaper published as an academic exercise by students at Victor Valley College in Victorville, CA. Issues are published bi-weekly from February through May and from September through December. The views expressed by the RamPage are not necessarily those of VVC, its board, its administration, its faculty, its staff, its Associated Student Body Council or its students.
     The RamPage welcomes press releases, story ideas, letters to the editor and guest editorials. Please submit these to the on-campus mailbox of RamPage Adviser Judith Pfeffer or leave a message at 760-245-4271 extension 8718 to receive information including editorial guidelines. Or mail information to RamPage, Victor Valley College, 18422 Bear Valley Road, Victorville, CA 92392.
     Readers are welcome to send e-mail to
     The RamPage is now online! Visit us at
     The RamPage accepts as advertising only 8 1/2-by-11-inch flyers as inserts. The cost is $100, which covers insertion/distribution of 2,000 copies. The cost and responsibility of designing, reproducing and delivering the 2,000 flyers to the RamPage will be borne by the advertiser. To purchase an advertisement, call Auxiliary Services Assistant Margarita  Barbosa at 760-245-4271 extension 2567. Acceptance of any advertisement in the RamPage does not constitute endorsement by the RamPage, college, district, board, ASB Council or student body.     

Editor in Chief:
Raul Gutierrez
Assistant Editors: Kris Reilly, Barbara A. Stewart
Copy Editor:
Robert Morrison
News Editor:
Jackie Sauer
Sports Editor: Clifton Harris
Activities Editor: Crystal Henson
Features Editor:
Deshawn Warr
Editor Emeritus: Bill Zamboni
Mary Cahail, Alyson Clabaugh, Ann Fletcher, Jennifer Fowlie, Annette Henson, J. Adriana Ibarra, Mitch Lopez,
                    Amanda Manis, Derrick D. Oliver, Cynthia Roman, Monta Romriell, Roxanne Velasquez, Michael Yackee
Webmaster: Micah Collard
Judith Pfeffer
Faculty Mentors: Claudia Basha, Carol Golliher, Karen Tomlin
Printing: Victor Valley College Campus Print Shop

Athletics | About Our Campus | Accreditation   | Bookstore | Campus Life  | College Catalogs  | College General Information (pdf) | College Maps |  Events of Community  | Job Openings | High Desert Higher Education Center |  Institutional Research | Library | President's Office | Employee Services |   VVC Foundation | Contact Webmaster
All Content � 2011 Victor Valley Community College  All rights reserved.
18422 Bear Valley Rd. • Victorville, CA 92392-5849 •           (760) 245-4271
Last Updated: 6/12/07