Upward Bound is a FREE TRiO Program, funded by the Department of Education designed to assist eligible high school students with preparation for postsecondary education and attainment of a bachelor degree. Our program services 59 participants from the following target high schools: Hesperia, Silverado and Victor Valley.
Students selected to participant in Upward Bound must meet program eligibility requirements.
The following services and activities are provided to participants during the Academic Year and Summer Program.
- Academic advisement with A - G requirements.
- Weekly after school tutoring sessions at each target high school site.
- Monthly Saturday Academies at Victor Valley College
- Cultural & educational Field Trips.
- Northern and Southern College Tours.
- Six-week college experience Summer Program.
- Career Exploration, Leadership, Study Skills and Test Taking Strategies Workshops.
- Supplemental instruction in English, Math, Science, and Foreign Language.
- CAHSEE and SAT/ACT Preparation.
- Assistance with college applications, financial aid and scholarship applications.
- Road to college workshop for parents and participants.
PURPOSE OF THE UPWARD BOUND PROGRAM
- To inspire and instruct participants in specific academic areas of English, Math, Science and Foreign Language.
- Provide participants with a unique college experience.
- To encourage students to pursue a higher education.
- To provide participants personalized college preparation through personal counseling, academic advising and tutorial assistance.
- Expose participants to cultural enrichment events and field trips.
- Provide college and university entrance advisement.
- Focus on academic achievement, career development, and financial assistance.
Last Updated 10/29/19