The Upward Bound : Math & Science Program is a federally funded TRiO program, designed to assist eligible high school students with preparation for postsecondary education. Upward Bound : Math & Science Program participants at Victor Valley College are selected from the following sites: Hesperia High School, Lucerne Valley High School and Victor Valley High School.
Students in the Upward Bound : Math & Science Program must meet certain guidelines to participate, such as being a first-generation college students and meeting income guidelines set by the Department of Education. The following services and activities are set for all Upward Bound : Math & Science participants during the Academic and Summer components:
- College Experience Summer Program
- Supplemental Instruction in English, Math, Science, and Foreign Language.
- Tutorial Services
- Individualized Education Plans & Curriculum Advisement
- Academic, Career & Personal Advisement
- Study Skill Workshops
- Leadership Workshops
- Career Workshops
- Test Taking Workshops
- College Admissions & Application Workshops
- Assistance with Scholarship Applications
- Cultural & Educational Field Trips
- Parent Workshops
- College credit courses at Victor Valley College
- Financial Aid Workshops
- SAT/ACT Preparation Workshops
PURPOSE OF THE UPWARD BOUND : Math & Science PROGRAM
- To inspire and instruct participants in specific academic areas of English, Math, Science and Foreign Language.
- Provide participants with a unique college experience.
- To encourage students to pursue a higher education.
- To provide participants personalized college preparation through personal counseling, academic advising and tutorial assistance.
- Expose participants to cultural enrichment events and field trips.
- Provide college and university entrance advisement.
- Focus on academic achievement, career development, and financial assistance.