Upward Bound | Welcome
Upward Bound is a FREE TRiO Program, funded by the Department of Education designed to assist eligible high school students with services that promote academic success toward graduation, preparation for postsecondary education, enrollment and attainment of a bachelor degree. Our program services 59 participants from the following target high schools: Hesperia, Silverado and Victor Valley.
Students selected to participate in Upward Bound must meet program eligibility requirements.
Program Services and Activities
Provided to participants during the Academic Year and Summer Program:
- Weekly after-school tutoring sessions at participant high school sites.
- Academic advisement with high school A-G requirements and AP Courses including college courses.
- Monthly Saturday Academies at Victor Valley College.
- College awareness and access workshops for participants and their parents/guardians.
- Educational field trips and cultural enrichment activities.
- Spring or Summer/Southern or Northern college and university campus tours.
- PSAT/SAT and ACT Preparation.
- Annual six-week college experience Summer Academy at Victor Valley College.
- Senior retreat with an emphasis on transition to college or university for high school senior participants.
- Assistance with CSU/UC/Private and community college admissions applications, scholarships and financial aid.
Purpose of the Upward Bound Program
- To inspire and instruct participants in specific academic areas of English, Math, Science and Foreign Language.
- Provide participants with a unique college experience.
- To encourage students to pursue a higher education.
- To provide participants personalized college preparation through personal counseling, academic advising and tutorial assistance.
- Expose participants to cultural enrichment events and field trips.
- Provide college and university entrance advisement.
- Focus on academic achievement, career development, and financial assistance.