Entry-Level Commercial Driver Training


If you are interested in an exciting career as a commercial driver, Victor Valley College will be offering CDL training at no cost to students beginning in Fall, 2022. Please provide your name, phone number, and email address to and we will reach out to you when the class schedule is available. Check out this video for more information about Entry Level Driver Training rules.


CDL 041 - Safe Operation and Regulations (54 Lecture Hours)
  • This course will prepare students to take the Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) test at the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Students will learn laws and regulations governing commercial vehicles as well as safe operating practices. Students will use a commercial vehicle simulator and begin practicing pre-trip inspections during this course. 
CDL 042 - Range Operations (27 Lecture Hours/54 Lab Hours)
  • This course will teach students to be proficient at pre-trip inspections, air brake system testing, and parking operations such as parallel parking and angled backing into a dock.
CDL 043 - On-the-road Training (27 Lecture Hours/67.5 Lab Hours)
  • This course will teach students to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) on public roads in the high desert. The purpose of this course is to prepare students to pass the road test portion of the licensing process.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the cost of the program?

Commercial Driver Training courses will be offered at no charge to students.

Students will need to pay for the following items over the course of the program:

  • DMV fees for permit and behind-the-wheel testing - Original Class A or Class B - $85 (April 2022)
  • Optional - Add Tank, Doubles/Triples/Hazmat - $50 (April 2022)
  • DOT Physical (fees vary...CDL instructors will provide more information)
  • Drug Test (fees vary...CDL instructors will provide more information)
  • DMV H-6 Printout (optional) - $5 (April 2022)

Are trucks manual or automatic?

Both trucks operated by Victor Valley College are manual transmission. Students will have access to a simulator to practice manual transmission operation prior to operating a truck on the range or public roads. 

What trailers are used for training?

Victor Valley College has a 53' van trailer and 48' spread axle flatbed.

Is this program an approved Entry-Level Driver Training Program?

Yes, the Victor Valley College program meets the requirements of ELDT.

Does Victor Valley College guarantee employment upon graduation?

No. Over the course of the program, students will have the opportunity to meet with many local and nationwide carriers to discuss employment opportunities.

How can I check my record in the Training Provider Registry (TPR)?

Drivers who have completed entry-level driver training can check their record to see what information their training provider(s) have submitted to the Training Provider Registry (TPR).

  1. Visit the Training Provider Registry (TPR)
  2. Enter your name and license information (this must match how the training provider entered your information) and certify you are only checking your own information.
  3. Answer a question to verify your identity
  4. View your record.
I've held a CDL in the past. Can I skip part of the program and just do the driving portion of the CDL training?

At this time, Victor Valley College does not offer a separate program for experienced drivers. All students seeking to earn a CDL will need to complete the sequence of courses (CDL 041/CDL 042/CDL 043) that make up the Entry Level Driver Training program.