Degrees & Certificates - Child Development

Child Development Certificate and Degrees

The VVC Child Development Program is proud to offer three “Certificates of Achievement” and two “Associate Degrees”

Difference Between "Certificates of Achievement" and "Permits"


As you read the descriptions below, please remember that it is important to understand the difference between the "certificates of achievement" offered by Victor Valley College and the "permits" awarded by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

The “certificates of achievement” are awarded by Victor Valley College to acknowledge a student’s academic achievements (coursework). The certificates are relevant to those seeking employment in the private sector.

The “permits” are awarded by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and require the completion of both coursework and experience in the field. The “permits” are required to work in state and federal-funded programs (i.e. State Preschool and Head Start). If you are interested and would like to obtain permits please contact Heather Hammond-Williams at

Child Development Training Consortium

Child Development Permit Matrix

For "certificate requirements" please click on the following links:


Level I: Associate Teacher Certificate of Achievement

Level II: Teacher (Preschool) Certificate of Achievement

Level III: Site Supervisor (Preschool) Certificate of Achievement

Click on the following Link for the Certificate Application (to be returned to VVC Admissions/Records):

Student Forms | Victor Valley College ( Locate Application for Certificate. 



AS (or AS-T) in Child Development? Or AS in Liberal Studies?


For "Degrees" please click on the following links:

Many students have questions as to what VVC AS Degree will help them achieve their goals of transferring to a four-year university and gaining employment.

If you wish to transfer to a four-year university and continue into a field such as child development, developmental psychology, social work, elementary education, early intervention/special needs, etc., it is recommended that you earn an AS (or *AS-T) in Child Development and then transfer to a four-year university. At Cal State San Bernardino you could transfer with an AS in Child Development into the CSUSB Human Development/Child Development track BA program.

You can also transfer into CSUSB’s Liberal Studies BA Program; however, in the Liberal Studies Program, the focus of your studies will be geared much more towards additional general education (math, science, etc.) courses vs. the Human Development program’s focus on early childhood, psychology and sociology.

*Currently the nearest Cal State University accepting the CHDV AST degree is Cal Poly Pomona; HOWEVER, if you are interested in transferring to Cal State San Bernardino (or one of the many local private four year colleges), please know that the VVC AS in Child Development is accepted and many VVC students choose this pathway.

The CSUSB Human Development/Child Development Track is designed to provide students with a solid background in child growth and development and includes the option of focusing on early childhood education. Upon completion of their CSUSB MA Degree in Human Development, students wishing to teach in an elementary setting can then enter the required “multiple subjects” credentialing program at CSUSB.

“This track prepares students for occupations or professions that call for child development specialists, e.g., early childhood education, infant and toddler specialists, and other positions involving work with children and families. This track will also prepare students for graduate-level training in related fields (e.g. a multiple subjects teaching credential needed for teaching in an elementary setting). Students selecting this track may also earn Child Development Master Teacher and Site Supervisor Permits (i.e., early childhood teaching and administrative credentials)”. (

CSUSB Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential Information:

What if you want to teach in the junior high or high school setting? In order to teach at the junior high or high school level, you will need to earn your single subject teaching credential. Additional information on this credential can be found on the following CSUSB webpage: