Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Q: How can I contact ACCESS if you are closed?

Contact us by choosing one of the following options:

A: Call the ACCESS Office (760) 245-4271, ext. 2212   

B: Send an email to

C: Send an email directly to the person you want to reach     

Click HERE for ACCESS Staff email list 


Q: If I am part of the ACCESS Program, where do I take my tests/quizzes?

 A:  For online classes, you will take your tests/quizzes online, like your classmates, and you will still receive extended testing time (if this is one of your accommodations). If you have a barrier that prevents you from testing online, schedule an appointment with an ACCESS Counselor to discuss alternative options; If you have an in-person class, and extended testing time is one of your accommodations, you can schedule you exams with the ACCESS Specialists to take your exams in one of the ACCESS testing areas.  Advanced notice is needed for in-person testing.

*Remember to send your instructors a copy of your Accommodation Plan(PASSPORT). If you need a copy, contact ACCESS.


Q:  How Do I apply for the ACCESS program?

A:  Submit a completed ACCESS application, which you can find on the ACCESS webpage or click HERE to access the application packet . 

Print and complete the application packet then email to our office at 

  • Qualifying medical documents – submit one or more with application:

    • Completed Disability Verification Form included in your application packet;

    • A current IEP or 504 Plan from high school;

    • a letter from a Medical Professional

    • DOR or State Disability Acceptance letter

  • If all documentation is in order and a qualifying medical document is provided, a future Eligibility appointment will be made for you with an ACCESS Counselor to determine your eligibility for the program.

  • Call us if you have any questions regarding your application process at

    760-245-4271 x2212.

Q:  Can I get tested for a disability at VVC?

A:  The only disability testing available at VVC is for suspected Learning Disability. The VVC Learning Disability class (DVST 50) is typically available during the Winter and Summer semesters.


Q:  I tried to register for classes and could not because of a HOLD.  I am in the ACCESS Program, can you help?

A: Contact ACCESS as soon as possible to determine what the HOLD is for,  and how we can further assist you.  


Q:  Will I be assigned a specific Counselor if I am eligible for the program?

A:  Once you have had your Eligibility appointment, and have qualified for the ACCESS program, you are free to see any of our uniquely qualified counselors.


Q:  Can I use my VVC ACCESS records to qualify for a disability program at another college?

A:  Each college is unique in what they require for program qualification.  However, you can definitely request a copy of your ACCESS records to submit to your new campus.  Requests can be made in person, or by contacting our office.


Q:  Can I get copies of my Accommodations Plan and Education Plan?

A:  Yes!  Please email our office at 

or call 760-245-4271, ext. 2212 ;  for VRS 760-429-7491


Q:  Does ACCESS have a Tutor?

A:   When available, ACCESS does provide a tutor to assist ACCESS students.  Please use the VVC Tutoring Center, NetTutor or contact your instructor for additional possibilities for tutoring.  All of these options can be found in you CANVAS.


Q:  How can I schedule an appointment with an ACCESS Counselor?

 A:  If you are part of the ACCESS program, give us a call at

760-245-4271 x2212, and we would be delighted to assist you. For VRS: 760-429-7491

(Please have your VVC Student ID handy).


Q:  Does ACCESS have a place for me to do my homework, use a computer or print?

 A:  Yes, unless the ACCESS Lab is being used for testing (dates/times are posted in front office), ACCESS students may use the ACCESS Lab to complete homework and print a limited amount of school related pages.


Q:  How will my instructor know that I need extended testing time, and how much extra time I need?

A:  You will need to email your instructor, and remind them that you are part of the ACCESS Program, and provide them with a copy of your Accommodations Passport.  This should be done as far in advance as possible, so that the instructor has time to adjust the time limit for the test/quiz.


Q: What if I don't have a copy of my Accommodations Passport?

 A:  Contact the ACCESS front office at 760-245-4271 ext. 2212  or  We will forward a copy of your accommodations page/passport directly to you.


Q:  How can I use my approved testing accommodations?

A:  Please contact Corynne Brown to discuss your testing situation.      You can reach her at760-245-4271 ext. 2434 or or


Q:  How will my instructor receive my test/quiz? 

A:  It will be submitted online.


Q:  Can I take my test/quiz at any time?

A:  You will need to communicate with your instructor to see when the test/quiz, with the extended time, will be available to you.  It may not be at the same time as the rest of the class.


Q: What if I open the test/quiz, and the time is not extended?

A:  Immediately close the test/quiz, and email your instructor to let them know.  If you attempt to complete it, without the extended time, and run out of time, it is unlikely that the instructor will allow you a second chance, with the extended time, as you have already seen the material. 


Q:  How would I be able to get help during priority registration?

A:  Call or email ACCESS regarding your specific question to schedule assistance.  760-245-4271 x2212, 


Q:  What about Interpreters?

Send an email to to arrange for interpreter service for your classes.

~Due to the limited number of educational interpreters in the High Desert, to assure services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students, you must request services two weeks in advance.


Q:  What are some of the services available through ACCESS?

  • Examples of services available through ACCESS that are over and above those regularly offered by the college would be test-taking facilitation, assessment for learning disabilities, specialized counseling, interpreter services for hearing-impaired or deaf students, mobility assistance, note taker services, reader services, limited alternate media services, specialized tutoring, access to adaptive equipment, registration assistance and specialized instruction. See "ACCESS Student Handbook" for more information. 

     ACCESS Student-Handbook.doc