For more information on LAEP, you can attend an information session. Sessions coming soon.
Student Eligibility for LAEP-Apply here!
In order to be eligible for LAEP, you must be:
- an undergraduate student, and
- enrolled at least half-time, and
- classified as a CA resident, and
- be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), and
- eligible to work in the United States, and
- demonstrating financial need, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid, and
- from an underrepresented background.
You will be considered from an underrepresented background if you are at least one of the following:
- First generation college student
- Current or former foster youth
- Student experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless
- A student with an Expected Family Contribution in the Pell Grant-eligible range (either FAFSA or CADAA)
- Student with a disability
- Displaced worker
- Student with dependent children
- Formerly incarcerated student
- Undocumented students / students meeting the requirements of AB540 (eligible to work in the US)
- Student who is a veteran
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How much can I work at a LAEP position?
A: You are able to work up to 20 hours per week, as long as the hours are not during your scheduled class time.
Q: How much LAEP funding can I receive?
A: Students must have room within their Cost of Attendance (COA) and financial aid in order to be eligible for LAEP funding. Depending on your individual circumstances, eligible students will be awarded between $4,000-$10,000 for an academic year.
Q: Can I also work a Federal Work-Study position?
A: No, you cannot work at both a LAEP and a Federal-Work Study position.
Q: How do I know if I'm eligible for LAEP?
A: If you meet all of the eligibility criteria listed above, you can apply for a LAEP position. When you submit a Student LAEP Application (coming soon), the Office of Financial Aid will review your financial need to confirm that eligibility criteria. You will be notified of your eligibility and ability to apply for LAEP positions, after you submit the Student LAEP Application.
Q: What if I have more questions about LAEP?