Online Classes @ VVC - HOME


Frequently Asked Questions and ANSWERS

1. How are Web-enhanced, hybrid, and online classes different?
- At Victor Valley College a Web-enhanced class requires 100% of the traditional amount of face-to-face instruction (meaning on campus and in class) as well as requiring that you complete some assignments via the Internet.
- A hybrid class, on the other hand, requires only some face-to-face classroom instruction meetings (51% or more), with the remaining required instruction conducted via the Internet. A hybrid essentially splits the required classroom time between campus rooms and the Internet, resulting in a reduction of the amount of time spent on campus.
- Lastly, an online class is conducted entirely and exclusively via the Internet and requires attendance at few, if any campus class meetings.

2. Do I need my own computer to take a Web-enhanced, online, or hybrid class?
- No, you do not need to own your own computer. Before enrolling, however, it is your responsibility to be sure that you will have easy access whenever necessary to at least one computer that meets the minimum requirements outlined below. These requirements may be met at home, at a VVC computer lab, at another college (verify days and hours of operation as well as any restrictions on use), at work (if permitted), or at any public facility (e.g., library, community room) that has computers that meet the minimum requirements and are connected to the Internet.

3. What sort of computer system is required for a Web-enhanced, online or hybrid class?
- Students enrolled in Web-enhanced, online or hybrid classes must have access to a computer system with the following: a Modem (56.6K recommended) or network connection, a Sound card, and 64 MB of RAM (128 MB or above is recommended). Some courses require students to have a CD-ROM installed or a VCR available to view videos that accompany the course.

4. What are the software requirements?
- Courses require that you have access to a recent version of a Microsoft, Netscape, or Safari (Mac) Web browser; a reliable e-mail service; and a word processing program. Students must arrange for their own access to the Internet. Specific classes in some departments, including Philosophy and Mathematics, have additional system requirements. Math classes require operating systems that support Visit for the required operating systems.

5. What are the minimum computer skills required?
- Each student must be able to:

  1. Navigate the Internet with a web browser.
  2. Use email and send attachments proficiently.
  3. Download and install plug-ins.
  4. Create files and folders.
  5. Use a word processing program: Microsoft Word is strongly recommended.
  6. Save word processing documents as Rich Text Format (.rtf).

6. What if I need to have adaptive software or equipment to access the Internet?
- Some students with disabilities may require adaptive software/hardware that is needed to access the Internet and used with various word processing programs. These adaptive tools are the responsibility of the student since they are to be used at home, but your local agency may assist you in identifying and/or acquiring such tools.

7. How do I apply to the college?
- Students may apply to Victor Valley College online. Click here and then click on "Apply for Admission" (at the top of the menu on the right) to begin. Once you complete your application you will receive a confirmation and an assigned registration time. Do not try to register for any courses before the assigned registration time.

8. How do I enroll for a course?
- You may enroll in or add a class either online or using the Victor Valley College automated telephone system. Click here for information on the telephone registration system. For online registration, Click here and then click on "Register for Classes" (from the menu on the right) to begin.

9. I am now registered for an online, Web-enhanced, or hybrid class. What do I do now?

10. Are Web-enhanced, online, and hybrid courses transferable?
- Web-enhanced, online, and hybrid classes are transferable. However, the decision to accept a course in any delivery mode is made by the receiving institution.

11. If an online, hybrid, or Web-enhanced class is closed, can I add?
- At Victor Valley College we maintain a class limit on all online and hybrid classes so as to maximize the opportunity for student interaction and successful course completion. Contact the instructor if a class is closed or, for hybrid classes, attend the first class meeting. Class size limits for Web-enhanced and traditional classes are identical. Contact the instructor or attend the first class meeting if a Web-enhanced class is closed.

12. How much does it cost to take a Web-enhanced, online, or hybrid class?
- Web-enhanced, online, and hybrid classes cost the same as on-campus courses. CLICK HERE for more information on the cost of courses at Victor Valley College.

13. When do Web-enhanced, online, and hybrid classes start?
- Generally, Web-enhanced, online, hybrid, and traditional classes start at the same time. This means you should not expect to access online course material prior to the beginning date of each class.

14. Will I be required to come to campus?
- Attendance is required at scheduled on-campus class meetings for Web-enhanced and hybrid courses. It is not necessary to come to the Victor Valley College campus at all for online classes, with the exception of online Math or Political Science classes. Proctored exams, required in some online courses in these departments, can be taken at the Victor Valley College campus, or any other community college or college campus. To find out more about any course, contact the instructor or Department Chair.

15. Do I have to access my class at the same time everyday?
- Most students should expect to access an online class between 5 and 7 times a week in order to keep up with class discussions, student questions and assignments. Unlike traditional courses, few, if any, online classes require students to access the class at a designated time of day. Expected frequency of access in hybrid or Web-enhanced classes varies from class to class. Attend the first class meeting for additional information.

16. How do I complete my coursework?
- Many Web-enhanced, online, and hybrid courses use Blackboard as the primary or supplemental virtual classroom. Coursework completed within the Blackboard learning environment may involve posted lectures, email, discussion boards, testing, file sharing, and group collaboration. Click here to access VVC's Blackboard Online Class System now.

17. Where do I get my textbooks?
- You can purchase textbooks on campus at the Victor Valley College Rams Bookstore - (click here for a map of the campus) or at the RAMS Bookstore Online by clicking here. Many textbooks are also available from off campus bookstores and online providers.

- It is not the instructor’s responsibility to drop students from classes even in cases where the student does not attend the first class meeting or any class meetings. It is the students responsibility to ensure the class was dropped on time in order to not be responsible for fees. Students must request a refund from the Bursar’s Office. Students who do not drop classes within the appropriate deadlines will be held accountable for payment of fees for these classes even if the student does not attend any class meetings.

Please refer to the DROP and REFUND dates in the schedule of classes.

- California Code of Regulations, T5 58004, 58507, 58508