Most employees are required to pay into a retirement system - CalPERS, CalSTRS, or APPLE (exceptions - student workers and certain retirees). VVC contributes an additional mandated percentage to these retirement plans. Employees may have additional voluntary choices depending upon employment status.
CalSTRS - California State Teachers Retirement System
- This generally applies to certificated employees and is a Defined Benefit Program (DB) in conjunction with a Defined Benefit Supplement Program (DBS), providing retirement and disability benefits. Requires employee contribution of 10.205% for PEPRA Members (hired on or after January 1, 2013) and 10.25% Classic Members of earnings, paid through payroll deduction on a pre-tax basis. The DB program is generally based on age, service years, and highest annual pay rate.
- Part time faculty, if not already a STRS member, are generally eligible to elect STRS at any time during their certificated employment.
- Annual statements can only be accessed on the CalSTS.com site. You must set up your MyCalSTRS.com access.
- CalSTRS retirees who return to work at VVC should be aware of the specific earnings limit and other limitations set by California law. Exceeding this limit can have an adverse affect on your pension. You may find details at the STRS website. The annual post-retirement earnings limitation is $47,713 for 2020-21.
- CalSTRS retirees may NOT performnon-certificated assignments, including, but not limited to, fee base/contract education.
- Visit http://calstrs.com/Members/index.aspx for additional or clarifying information on any of these issues.
- Phone 800-228-5453
- STRS Retirement Calculator
CalPERS - California Public Employees Retirement System
- This generally applies to non-certificated employees and is a Defined Benefit Plan providing retirement and disability benefits. Requires employee contribution of 7% of salary paid through payroll deduction on a pre-tax basis. This system coordinates with Social Security. Your pension is currently based on age, service years, and highest annual pay rate.
- Annual statements are issued by PERS to your on-file mailing address in late fall
- CalPERS retirees who return to work at VVC are limited to 960 hours in a non-permanent PERS-eligible position (student employee exempted). Exceeding this limit can cause an adverse impact to your retirement. Contact PERS for more information. In addition, it's possible PERS retirees who return to work at VVC as a temporary faculty member may be subject to the PERS 960 hours limitation.
- Visit www.calpers.ca.gov for additional or clarifying information on any of these issues.
- Phone 800-352-2238
APPLE - Accumulation Program for Part-Time and Limited-Service Employees
- A Defined Contribution Plan providing alternative retirement benefits for associate faculty and limited-term employees who are not members of CalSTRS or CalPERS. Student workers are exempted. This plan requires employee contribution of 3.75% of salary paid through payroll deduction on a pre-tax basis. This type of plan provides for immediate vesting. The retirement pension is based on the amount in your account.
- Access your account APPLE (Mid-America) or login to/create an APPLE account to download an APPLE flyer.
- Phone 800-634-1178
- Statements may be requested by calling the number listed above
- If you are no longer employed at VVC, you may login to/create your APPLE account to download a "Request for Settlement of Account Form". IMPORTANT - so that your employment status can be changed to "terminated" in our system, be sure to send a notice of resignation to Human Resources or Payroll
Voluntary Retirement Savings - 403(b)(7) - Tax Shelter Annuity & 457(b) Deferred Compensation plans
- Both plans were created by the IRS for state and local government employees and payroll salary reductions are taken on a pre-tax basis.
- Both plans are available to all regular employees and adjunct faculty.
- These pre-tax deductions can be started, stopped, or changed more than once during the year.
- Enrollment in one or both of these plans is optional at any time (may be in addition to membership in the applicable mandatory system, STRS, APPLE, or PERS).
- For the 403(b)(7) plan, you will find available a number of approved companies with multiple investment opportunities within each company.
View the most recent list of approved companies here.
- For the 457(b) plan, you will find available two options - an insured certificate or a low-cost mutual fund product.
- Access information and forms for each plan. If you choose to start one or both plans, salary reduction forms should be completed and sent directly to the credit union. They will notify our payroll department of account set ups or changes.
- SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union provides third-party administrator services for both plans, as well as typical credit union services.
- IMPORTANT - although salary reduction forms go to the credit union, generally you must first open your 403(b) account by contacting one of the approved companies. The credit union or your company contact/agent can answer questions you may have regarding this and other issues.
- Call SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union at 800.462.8328, ext. 4727.
Social Security (OASDI) and Medicare
- Click on Social Security Administration to access both Social Security (OASDI) and Medicare information and enrollment requirements/criteria.
- PERS members with subject earnings pay into Social Security, 6.2% (up to $142,800 for 2021) and Medicare, 1.45%.
- STRS and APPLE contributing members canNOT pay into Social Security but do pay into Medicare - click SSA-1945 - statement of non-coverage
- VVC-enrolled student worker earnings are not subject to Social Security or any other retirement system and do not pay into Medicare