S.T.E.P - Success Through Empowerment Program
We know this new environment of COVID-19 has caused a lot of uncertainty around going to college, but we want you to know that we are committed to your goals of earning a college degree, no matter what may be happening around us.
JOIN S.T.E.P. AND LET US HELP YOU BE SUCCESSFUL IN YOUR FIRST YEAR OF COLLEGE AND BEYOND!
Mission of the program
Victor Valley College believes that the first-year experience is critical to the academic success and personal growth of our students. The Success Through Empowerment Program (S.T.E.P) at Victor Valley College integrates first-year students into the academic and cultural community of the College and assists students all the way through to graduation. We are dedicated to helping students achieve their academic goals.
Benefits of S.T.E.P.:
- Dedicated counselors
- Student Support Network
- Culturally Enriching Activities
- Academic Success Workshops
- University Tours
- Technology and Book Assistance
- Second and Third-Year Assistance and Follow up
- Student leadership training opportunities
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN:
- S.T.E.P. students are twice as likely to earn their associate degrees within a three-year time period than students who are not in in the S.T.E.P. program.
- S.T.E.P. students are more likely to persist into their second year at Victor Valley College than students who are not in a support program.
- S.T.E.P. students are more likely to transfer to 4 year universities than students who did not participate in S.T.E.P.
S.T.E.P. orientation dates and times will be e-mailed to students who are accepted into the program.
Information sessions will be held at your high school.
Complete the Victor Valley College “Steps to Enrollment”:
- VVC online application
- Apply for Financial Aid for Summer 2022 and also for the 2022-2023 Academic Year
- Student must qualify for the California College Promise Grant (Formerly Known as the Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver – BOGFW)
- Complete VVC orientation
- Complete the S.T.E.P. application online by MAY 9, 2022
- Submit a 200-300 word essay describing why you should be selected to participate in the program. For an essay example, please visit: S.T.E.P. Essay Example
- Submit high school transcripts
- Submit a photo of yourself
- Be a first year student at Victor Valley College
In order to be eligible for the S.T.E.P. program, students must:
- Attend the orientation for your specific cohort
- Be enrolled as a Full-Time student
- Meet with their S.T.E.P. Counselor at least 3 times a semester
- Maintain a GPA of 2.00 or above
- Attend campus events each semester
- Attend College Tours
Summer cohorts begin JULY 2022!