Transfer Basics


Print this page - graphic

Print this page

This website is designed to guide you through the transfer process and provide you with resources.  Following the links on the left navigation bar will be very helpful to you.

For Starters...

A bachelor's degree requires both lower division (freshman/sophomore) and upper division (junior/senior) coursework.  It also requires particular courses in your major and additional courses for general education.  You can complete the majority of your lower division coursework at a community college and then transfer to a college or university to complete your bachelor's degree. 

 Many of our students plan to transfer in order to earn bachelor's degrees.  Each institution has its own unique requirements. In general, there are three things for transfer students to be aware of:

  1. Transfer Admissions Requirements: Each college or university requires a minimum number of units, course requirements, transfer GPA, etc. for students who have already been attending college.
  2. Lower Division Major Preparation: Certain courses satisfy some of the requirements for your major. It is best to complete all of the lower division major preparation prior to transfer. Some schools will not admit students who have not done so.
  3. General Education: Everyone must complete general education, regardless of major. There are advantages to completing all of the lower division general education requirements prior to transfer. Each school has a unique set of general education requirements, but if you are planning to transfer to the CSU or UC systems there are particular patterns that might be appropriate for you called CSU GE-Breadth and IGETC. 

The link "Transfer Requirements" on the left will provide you with details on all three of these topics.  It is important to consult with a VVC counselor on specific requirements for transfer. You should also visit the Transfer Center to gather information and to explore your options.


Where do you plan to transfer?

There are many institutions to choose from.  Below are links to transfer admissions websites for the four segments of higher education where you can transfer.  Each link opens in a separate window.

1. The California State University (CSU) system is one of two public university systems in California.  The twenty-three CSU campuses offer a wide variety of innovative and exciting bachelor's and graduate-level programs whose goal is to prepare citizens for effective participation in society. Each campus has its own "flavor," but all offer well-regarded programs, many of which are internationally prominent. The closest Cal State campuses are CSU San Bernardino and Cal Poly Pomona. 

2. The University of California (UC) is the second public university system in California.  It is world-renowned for its excellence in teaching and, in particular, research into what makes the world the way it is. Each of the ten campuses statewide (nine undergraduate) has its own distinct academic and social character, but all offer intellectually challenging bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs in an academically rigorous environment. The closest UC campus is UC Riverside.

3. In-state private colleges/universities such as the University of Southern California (USC) or Pepperdine are some of those to which VVC students transfer.  These institutions are independently operated and may have specific affiliations or focuses.  Since these are all individually operated, they have unique programs and admissions criteria.  The VVC Transfer Center and counselors can help you to learn more.  It is always advised to contact these institutions directly.

4. Out-of-state colleges/universities such as University of Nevada at Las Vegas (UNLV) or the University of Arizona are outside of California.  They can be both public and private.  We advise that you contact these institutions directly and follow up with a visit to the VVC Transfer Center or counseling for assistance on admissions requirements.


A Word on Regional Accreditation...

When selecting a program, remember that your degree will be an important part of your resume for the rest of your life... and you want a school whose reputation is acceptable to potential employers.  Some employers or graduate programs might require that your bachelor's degree come from a "regionally accredited" institution.  Some institutions may be accredited by other accrediting organizations (such as national associations).  In some industries this is acceptable for employment and further study.  If you want help in considering your options or assessing specific programs, please set up a counseling appointment. We'll be glad to help.  Below is a list of the regional accreditation organizations in the United States.

  • MSA - Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • NWCCU - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • NCA - North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • NEASC - New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.
  • SACS - Souther Association of Colleges and Schools
  • WASC - Western Association of Schools and Colleges


Local University Opportunities in the High Desert (Victor Valley Region)

In the Victor Valley region, there are a few well-regarded private universities that offer a variety of bachelor's degree programs (the main campuses are located elsewhere). To view a list of private universities in the High Desert, please visit Local Bachelor's Degree Programs