What is CalWORKs

What is CalWORKs?

California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids or CalWORKs is a state-funded welfare-to-work program designed to help individuals on public assistance. CalWORKs provides temporary cash aid assistance to families with dependent children to help meet basic needs. CalWORKs aids parents in completing training programs with the goal of helping families become self-sufficient.

If you are in need of financial assistance, click here to apply for CalWORKs. 

Students who are actively aided on a cash-aid case (CalWORKs/TANF) are eligible to receive additional support from the Victor Valley College CalWORKs program

CalWORKs Mission Statement

The mission of the CalWORKs program is to provide educational & social-emotional support, counseling and academic planning, and student advocacy. Our program is committed to ensuring students receive high-quality and equitable assistance, resources and care to complete a degree, certificate, and/or transfer, and gain skills to enhance employability after graduation.

What Does Victor Valley College CalWORKs Offer?

  • Exclusive Academic Counseling 
  • Priority Registration
  • Help With School Supplies and Other Resources
  • CalWORKs Work Study
  • Support In Meeting County Requirements


Located in Building 23 (Student Services II) - VVC Campus Map Jan 2020 ]

Office hours are Monday-Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Closed on Fridays during the Summer. 

Meet the Staff:


Who is Eligible for CalWORKs?

  • To qualify for the CalWORKs Program you must meet these requirements:
  • A person receiving cash aid for themselves and their family. (TANF formerly known as AFDC)
  • Must have completed the Admissions and Assessment to Victor Valley College


CalWORKs Supportive Services

While assisting students to achieve their educational goals, CalWORKs provides supportive services. Services may include: 

  • Advocacy
  • Academic, Career and Personal Counseling
  • County Ed Plans
  • Mentoring
  • Priority Registration
  • CalWORKs Work Study Opportunities
  • Job Placement
  • Resume Assistance
  • Gas Cards
  • Food Cards
  • Supply Voucher (notebooks, pens, pencils, etc.)
  • Assistance in meeting the 20/32/35 hrs. of work-study to meeting the county's work participation requirements.


How do I Apply?

Complete application for Admissions at Victor Valley College

  • Victor Valley College admissions application can be completed online at www.vvc.edu at home, or at the New Student Center Bldg. 23 at VVC.
  • Apply for Financial Aid (Grant money doesn’t have to be paid back)
  • Apply Financial Aid by logging in at www.vvc.edu and Financial Aid.
  • You can submit a FASFA online from home, or check our VVC website under Financial Aid, for any workshops that are scheduled.
  • You can directly apply at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
  • You may be eligible for BOGG (fee waiver) as well as PELL grant (cash issued directly to you).
  • You may be eligible for Federal Work Study.
  • Contact Your WTW County Case Worker
  • Contact your WTW county case worker and have them send a Referral (Form WTW 77) to the CalWORKs office at calworks.office@vvc.edu. You can also bring in a Verification of Benefits to the CalWORKs office located in Bldg. 23 room 23.04, or come to the office and complete a TANF verification form that will be sent to the county for verification.
  • Once the office receives the WTW Referral, or your copy of your Verification of Benefits, or has received your TANF verification back from the county, a CalWORKs counseling appointment will be made with a CalWORKs Counselor.
  • The office will contact both the case worker if needed, and the student with the appointment information and intake paperwork.                             
  • Meet with CalWORKs Counselor
  • If you have an educational plan completed by EOPS, general counseling or another college, please bring them along with any transcripts from other colleges you want to use, with you at the time of your appointment.
  • Registration
  • You may register online at www.vvc.edu (go to your Self Service), or Bldg. 23 at Admission and Records. Registration dates are based on units you have completed at VVC