VVC COMMUNICATION CENTER
The VVC Communication Center, located on the 2nd floor of the Performing Arts Center, Room 54-213, is available to all VVC students, staff, faculty, and the public who would like help with the development and delivery of oral presentations from research, outlining, delivery, and visual aids including PowerPoint presentations.
Don't know where the Performing Arts Center is located?
[ Click here for a Campus Map - opens in a new tab/window ]
The Communication Center is set up to provide one-on-one training with people coming in who need to prepare a speech for any class or public speaking event. People can also tape themselves practicing a presentation so they can review it and make improvements. Students, faculty, and staff wanting information on other areas of communication studies, such as interpersonal and intercultural communication, small group leadership, persuasion, etc., can also find resources here.
- Interesting and helpful assignment suggestions
- Speech recognition software for students wishing to improve their English skills, use dictation or convert writing to synthesized audio stream
- Presentation aid advice and practice for future presentations
- Friendly, helpful staff that are there to ensure your success
- Helpful journals, text books, exercises, and more
- The ability to tape your presentations for your review and critique
- A viewing room that can be utilized by students required to watch films and/or other DVDs or taped presentations for class.
- Headsets/computer stations for foreign language students to complete online portion of coursework
Hours of Operation for Spring 2016:
- Monday: 11:00 a.m.-3:55p.m.
- Tuesday: 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 11:00 a.m.-3:55p.m.
- Thursday: 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8:30 a.m.- 10:30 a.m.
- Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays: CLOSED
Facilitator, Communication Center
Phone: (760)245-4271 ext. 2820. Please call for reservations or information.
- Center is available to students of all disciplines who are in need of assistance for individual or group presentations.
- All students NOT accompanied by an instructor must sign in on the computer upon entering the center.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the center. Students must leave items at front desk.
- Do not remove any materials from the center including books and equipment unless otherwise specified.
- Be quiet and considerate of others while working in the lab. Any students causing a distraction will be asked to leave.
Entering the center:
- Always check in at the front desk. You must present your student ID card when checking in to the center.
- Be specific as to why you are here and make sure to bring a copy of the assignment you are working on including the instructor’s name and when the assignment is due.
- No make-ups are allowed without the permission of your instructor.
- If working on more than one assignment make sure to check-in for each assignment in order to receive full credit.
- Remember to check-out upon leaving the center.
- Tutoring is available by appointment and on a walk-in basis when tutors are available.
Using the Communication Center computers:
- The center has 14 PCs with Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Internet access.
- When available the Communication Center student assistants and director can assist you with researching techniques.
- Make sure to bring a flash drive to save any computer work you do in the lab.
- The Communication Center is available to tape your speech or group presentation.
- An appointment is required and is scheduled on a first come, first serve basis based on staff availability.
- Any student arriving more than five minutes late may lose their reservation.
Using the Group Study Rooms/Viewing Room:
- Group study rooms can be use to prepare and rehearse your speeches, work on group projects or viewing videos.
- Students are required to make an appointment to ensure the availability of the room.
- Rooms are held for five minutes beyond the reserved time and may be forfeited if you arrive late.
- No one individual can reserve a room for more than one hour at a time.