skip navigation

This page is designed for modern browsers. You will have a better experience with a better browser.

Print this page - graphic

New Veteran Student

You are classified as a New Student if you have never received VA educational benefits.

**NEW Process Starting Spring 2014**

 The VA no longer requires institutions to verify when a Veteran Student receives an “F” grade(s), however if you receive an “FW” grade a letter is sent to the instructor to provide the Certifying Official with the last date of attendance and the method used to determine this date.    Once this letter has been received the adjustment(s) is then submitted to the VA for further processing and may result in an overpayment owed by the student.  To avoid a possible overpayment please remember to inform the VA Department or your VA Certifying Official of any schedule changes as soon as possible. This contact information is located at .

As always adjustments are submitted to the VA for an attendance status of “No Shows” and “Withdrawals”. 

Step 1: Apply for Veteran Educational Benefits

  • Apply online at VONAPP (Veterans Online Application - provided by US Department of Veterans Affairs)
  • Within 4-6 weeks, the VA will send you two copies of your Certificate of Eligibility. Bring one copy to the Victor Valley Veterans Services Office

** Students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®  that are in less than half time (ie. 16 weeks: 5 units; 8 weeks: 2 units; 6 weeks: 1 unit) will NOT receive their basic allowance for housing (BAH); however, certified enrollment will count against remaining benefits timeframe.

Step 2: Complete Enrollment Process at Victor Valley College (If applicable)

  • Submit an application for admission. Wait 24-48 hours for processing
  • Set up your WebAdvisor account
  • Complete Online Orientation
  • Take the Assessment Test

Step 3: Mail or hand-carry Official Transcripts to Victor Valley College Admission & Records

Step 4: Make an appointment with the VA Education Counselor for a Veteran's Student Education Plan (VSEP)

  • A student may only pursue one educational goal at a time. When registering for classes refer to your copy of the VSEP. The VA certifying official will certify only the classes that are on your VSEP
  • The VA requires that GI Bill ® students have a current GI Bill ® Education plan, prepared by a VVC Counselor, in their VA File. The Ed Plan must show the student’s declared program and have all prior credits evaluated. When you make your appointment with a VVC counselor, please indicate that you are a GI Bill ® student, and bring to your appointment copies of any previous college transcripts.

Step 5: Register for classes using WebAdvisor

  • Veterans Priority Registration Eligibility Requirement:
    • Veterans will receive priority registration from the date of separation as listed on the DD214. Submit your DD214 to Admissions and Records (Windows 1-4) located in building 52 for approval
  • Registration dates and times are posted on the college website ( ) 
  • Pay attention to important dates (last day to add, drop with refund, without a "W", and with a "W") and remember that it is your responsibility to drop your class

Step 6: Submit the Veterans Student Information Sheet & other documents

  • A valid picture Identification
  • Student Information Sheet can be located on the Veterans Services Home Page under Forms. Complete the form and print it out
  • Current class schedule
  • Current Veteran's Education Plan (VSEP)
  • A copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (if you have received it from the VA)
  • A Certifying Official will verify that the courses match the student's Veteran Student Education Plan before proceeding (VSEP) with VA certification
  • Once certification at Victor Valley College is complete, students will receive a VA Certification ID number. Veterans/dependents may call 1-888-GIBILL-1 to verify enrollment and payment status

Step 7: Apply for Financial Aid


Have questions or you are unsure about something on this list? CONTACT US AT: (760) 245-4271, extensions 2245 or 2202.


Last Updated 9/9/16