Seasonal Fall/Winter/Spring Tutoring Opportunities
Academically support high school program participants with their in A-G courses!
- Seasonal Part Time Work!
- Weekly Tutoring Sessions!
- Become A Mentor!
- Perfect For College Students!
- Saturday Academies!
What Upward Bound is about:
Upward Bound is a federal grant program, funded by the United States Department of Education. The Program helps students who attend Hesperia, Silverado, and Victor Valley high schools with their academic success at the high school level and prepares them for successful completion of a four-year degree at an accredited college or university by providing them with the following free services:
- Academic advisement with emphasis on the A-G Requirements
- Weekly after school tutoring at the participants' high schools
- Monthly Saturday Academies at Victor Valley College
- Educational field trips and cultural enrichment activities
- Annual spring college/university tours
- Annual six week college experience summer academies
- Annual senior retreats for high school senior participants in the fall
- College workshops for participants and their parents/guardians
- One-on-one assistance with financial aid, and college admissions applications
Who We're Looking For:
Upward Bound Tutors should be understanding to the needs of our participants by being flexible, having a positive attitude, and a strong desire to help students succeed academically. In addition to the following qualifications:
- Must be enrolled in at least 6 semester units and have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Must have completed a minimum of 12 semester units and a minimum 3.0 in subjects to be tutored
- Must have completed the college level/transferable course in subject area(s) you tutor
- Ability to work with low-income and diverse student populations; individually and in small groups
- Must be available to work afternoons on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays and one Saturday a month
- Provide weekly tutoring of high school course subjects at target high schools
- Provide Upward Bound participants with information regarding college experiences
- Chaperone Upward Bound participants as needed during activities and events
- Conduct small group study sessions
- Assist the Program Coordinator in preparation, set-up, and break-down of Saturday
- Academies (one per month).
- Other duties as directed by the Program Coordinator and/or the Director
- Pick up an application at the Upward Bound Office, located in the Academic Commons (Building 42, Office A) or
- Contact Elizabeth Duarte, Program Coordinator, at (760) 245-4271, ext. 2415 or by email at: email@example.com