Title 5 Section 53200 (b): Academic Senate means an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters. Section 53200 (c): "Academic and professional matters" means the following policy development and implementation matters:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines.
- Degree and certificate requirements.
- Grading policies.
- Educational program development.
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports.
- Policies for faculty professional development activities.
- Processes for program review.
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate.
From the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges, Local Senates Handbook, Part I, Academic Senate Responsibilities.
Association and Senate Duties (Archived document from 2002-2004) - [download pdf]