Step 1: Apply for VA Education Benefits
- Apply online
- Within 4-6 weeks, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility.
- Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to the Victor Valley College Veterans Resource Center.
Rate of Pursuit and the Housing Allowance (Post 9/11, Chapter 33).
The housing allowance is paid if the student's rate of pursuit is more than 50%. Rate of pursuit determines whether a student receives or doesn't receive the housing allowance. The resulting percentage is the student's rate of pursuit.
Examples: If full-time is 12 credits, then rate of pursuit for:
- 6 Credits (or credit equivalents) is 50% (6 / 12 = 50%)
- 7 Credits (or credit equivalents) is 58% (7 / 12 = 58%)
Step 2: Complete Enrollment Process at Victor Valley College
- Submit an application for admission. Wait 24-48 hours for processing
- Set up your MyVVC/WebAdvisor accounts
- Complete Online Orientation
- Take the Placement Survey
Step 3: Mail or hand-carry Official Transcripts to Victor Valley College Admission & Records
- Transcripts must be official & sealed.
- https://jst.doded.mil/jst/login (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard). You will need to include an official copy of your military transcripts.
- Request your CCAF (Air Force) transcript here
- To obtain official transcripts from any other college or educational organization, please contact that institution directly.
Step 4: Make an appointment with an Academic Counselor for a VRC Student Education Plan (VSEP)
- The VA requires that GI Bill® students have a current Education plan, prepared by a VVC Counselor, in their VA File. The Ed Plan must show the student’s declared program of study and have all prior credits evaluated. To schedule an appointment please call or email the VRC at 760 245-4271 X2245 or VRC.GIBill@vvc.edu.
- When registering for classes refer to your copy of the VSEP. The VA Certifying Official will certify only the classes that are on your VSEP to the VA for processing and payments.
Step 5: Register for classes using Self-Service
Priority Registration Eligibility Requirement:
Veterans submit a copy of your DD214 (member 4) to the VRC to receive consideration for priority registration.
Active Duty and Reservists submit a copy of their current military orders.
A Spouse of a Veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 50%> submits a completed "Priority Registration For Spouse of Disabled Veteran" form along with the required documentation to the VRC to determine eligibility.
- When registering for classes refer to your copy of the VSEP. The VA certifying official will certify only the classes that are on your VSEP.
- Click on the following link to register for classes www.vvc.edu/register
- Pay attention to important dates (last day to add, drop with refund, without a "W", and with a "W") and remember that it is your responsibility to drop your class(es).
- To avoid a possible overpayment, please remember to inform the VA Department/VA Certifying Official of any schedule changes as soon as possible. This contact information is located at http://www.vvc.edu/veterans/contact-us.shtml.
- As always adjustments are submitted to the VA for an attendance status of “No Shows” "FW's", "EW's", and “Withdrawals”.
Step 6: Submit the VRC Student Information Sheet & other documents to the Veterans Resource Center
IMPORTANT: For ease of processing, please use the fillable fields on the PDF documents we have provided to you online. Please do not print and fill them out by hand.
- Complete the VRC Student Information Sheet
- Complete the GI Bill® Enrollment Certification Form
- Current VRC Student Education Plan (VSEP)
- A copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (if you have received it from the VA)
- A Certifying Official will verify that the courses match the student's VSEP before proceeding.
- Once certification at Victor Valley College is complete, students will receive an email that verifies their enrollment status.
- Veterans/dependents may call 1-888-GIBILL-1 to verify enrollment and payment status.
Step 7: Apply for Financial Aid
- Optional but highly recommended
- Apply here: https://studentaid.gov
- VVC's school code: 001335